The next one-day HIV training for counsellors takes place on
check back soon for the next date.
The ‘HIV in Ireland Survey 2017’ revealed the impact that stigma continues to have on people living with the condition in this country. The survey, one of the most significant pieces of research on stigma and HIV knowledge to be carried out in Ireland in over a decade, revealed that 17 per cent of people living with HIV said they felt suicidal in the last year; a quarter are not comfortable with their own HIV positive status; and a third had experienced being rejected in a relationship due to their HIV status.
This one-day training aims to introduce key aspects of working with clients who are living with HIV, as well as their friends/partners/families and introduces guidelines for professionals working in this area.
Who is the training for?
This training will be beneficial for professional counsellors, therapists, health and social care workers, and other mental health workers.
Training Programme Content:
- Overview of HIV (transmission, prevention, testing and treatment).
- Common Presenting Issues.
- Practical Issues.
- Relationships and Sex.
- Emotional/Spiritual Issues.
- Legal Issues.
- Case Studies.
- A Counselling Model.
Length of Training:
This is a full-day training programme, approx. 7 hours in duration.
About the Presenters:
This course is facilitated by Rebecca Seery and Richard Boyle. Rebecca, MIACP, BA (Counselling and Psychotherapy), BSocSc, currently works as a Client Support Worker and Counsellor/Psychotherapist with HIV Ireland. Richard Boyle, IICHP, BA (Mod), has worked as a counsellor/psychotherapist with HIV Ireland for nearly twenty years. Rebecca and Richard aim to share their experiences and learning from working with a wide variety of client presenting issues in a stimulating training environment where group participation is encouraged.
We will provide each participant with a certificate of attendance detailing the number of hours training completed. This will enable you to apply for your own CPD credits with your accrediting associations and organisations.
Book this training:
- Organisation Bookings: Organisations can request this training when there is a number of staff to be trained. A maximum of 15 participants applies. Contact us for further details and costs – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calendar of Training: This training programme is included in our annual calendar of training to cater for individual bookings. Check our Calendar of Training for scheduled dates.