If you are sexually active, take care of your sexual health and get an STI check-up regularly.
STI testing is free in Ireland at public STI/GUM clinics and at some community-based testing venues including at HIV Ireland. These are confidential and non-judgmental services.
Some clinics offer a walk-in service and some operate by appointments. You don’t have to be referred by, or have a letter from, your GP.
During an STI screening, a doctor or health care worker will talk to you about any risk of infection you may have had and any symptoms you may have. (Don’t forget, doctors and clinics are used to dealing with these issues. You won’t have anything they haven’t seen before!).
The tests will include taking blood for HIV, hepatitis B and syphilis. Swabs are used to examine material from a discharge or an infected area (such as the penis, vagina, anus or mouth). A urine sample is used to test for chlamydia.
Testing Locator Map
Find your nearest HIV and STI testing clinic with our online Testing Locator Map.
Free HIV & STI Testing @ HIV Ireland
We provide a free community-based HIV & STI testing service at our offices at 70 Eccles Street, Dublin 7. Services are provided in conjunction with the GUIDE Clinic, St. James’s Hospital and with the Mater Hospital. We also provide a rapid HIV testing service for gay and bisexual men, and a HIV self-test service.
SH:24 – Home STI Testing
In 2021, the HSE Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme (SHCPP) is piloting a home STI testing project for Ireland in partnership with online STI testing provider SH:24. The project is being piloted in the counties of Dublin, Cork and Kerry. This means that anyone, aged 17 years and over, with an address in these pilot counties, can order a free STI test to their home. The home test kits include testing for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, syphilis and HIV.
- STI test kits can be ordered on SH:24.ie.
- Kits will be posted to a person’s home.
- Instructions are provided on how to complete the test kit, with support available from SH:24’s clinical team by phone or text message.
- A stamped addressed envelope is provided to post the completed test kit back to the lab.
- People will receive their results within 72 hours of their samples arriving at the lab.
- Anyone with a positive result will be supported by SH:24’s clinical team to access one of the participating clinics in Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow, Cork/Kerry.